Wednesday 29 October 2008 Micheál - Project Discussion

Today we had an open class discussion about on how each of our projects was taking shape. I really enjoyed this session.
Some of the suggested areas of research raised about my project included

• Copyleft Movement

• Wikinomics (How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything - book by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams – Dec 2006)

• Consumerism

• Ownership (Death of the Autor)


I also talked about my research into DRM and as the discussion developed it was apparent that its shortcomings seem common knowledge.
E.g. a Microsoft/ BMG early attempt at DRM have been listed in the Top 40 Worst Technologies of all time.

One of the main points I took from the discussion was in realation the use of a physical box that was part of my initial idea.
In my initial idea I had planned to use a physical receiver box in my concept but after todays discussion I agreed that it would be better to find a more elegant system of reading the audio data, at least at design / concept stage.

The issue of copyright and ownership especially with music seemed to be something a number of my classmates are investigating thought this brief. #
This is also very evident thought-out the web, with mountains of options, groups and organizations based on this issue.

I left the discussion with a much better direction of how next to research.

No comments: