Monday 1 December 2008 Design Interactive - Initial Idea

My first idea of the new brief Design Interactive is based around interactive club visuals. I talked to Mike Blow about this idea and we disused ways in which we could judge where people are positioned in a club. Mike suggested that I use an Infra Red camera which could calculate colour and respond to this. I started to research this online and discovered that it mite be possible to make my own cheap IR camera.
I am also interested in using Processing and maybe even Abelton to relate visuals to the audio and therefor create a connection of colour and sound this is a subject which I have been interested in for a long time. I think its interesting that the rules of visual design can also work be applied to music production.

Reasons for Idea
I researched a number of ideas including an Interactive Portfolio Website, Interactive Club Visuals and an Interactive Commercial Site for a Music Venue.
I decided to go with an idea based around an interactive club visual installation project. The main influences for choosing this project include:

Background Interest
I spent some time in the past creating visuals.

Experience

Hopefully one day I will get a wage to feed my poor unfortunate future family by working in video production.

Improve

I hope to use this project to improve my knowledge of motion graphics software.
Understand

Processing

Mike Blow introduced us to Processing which is a computer program built for the electronic arts and visual design communities to create and develop computer art. I really like the ethos behind this open source language and its results are really impressive.

REM Animal
Although I would not be a fan of REM I can defiantly appreciate the power of Processing which was used with Maya and After Effects to create this video by Motion Theory (Mathew Cullen and Gray Hall)

No comments: